Pastor Herb Mays
Tenents of Faith
- 1. The scriptures - The Bible is the inspired Word of God, the product of holy men who spoke and wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. The New Covenant, as
recorded in the New Testament, we accept as our infallible guide in matters pertaining to conduct and doctrine.
II Timothy 6 3:16, I Thessalonians 2:13, II Peter 1:21
- 2. The Godhead - Our GOD is one, but manifested in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, being coequal.
- 3. Man, His Fall and Redemption - Man is a created being, made in the likeness and image of God, but through Adam's transgressions and fall, sin came into the world.
"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." "As it is written there is none righteous, no not one." Jesus Christ, the Son of God was manifested to undo the work of the devil and gave
His life and shed His blood to redeem and restore man back to God.
Romans 3:10, Romans 3:23, I John 3:8, Galatians 3:13, Romans 5:14
- 4. Salvation is the gift of God to man, separate from works and the law, and is made operative by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, producing works acceptable in God.
- 5. Eternal Life and the New Birth - Man's first step toward salvation is godly sorrow that worketh repentance. The New Birth is necessary to all men, and
when experienced, produces eternal life.
II Corinthians 7:10, I John 5:12, John 3:3-5
- 6. Water Baptism - Baptism in water is by immersion, is a direct commandment of our Lord, and is for believers only. The ordinance is a symbol of
the Christian's Identification with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. The following recommendation regarding the water baptismal formula is adopted: to wit,
"On the confession of your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and by His authority, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the
Holy Ghost. Amen:"
Matthew 28:19, Romans 6:4, Colossians 2:12, Acts 8:36-39
- 7. Baptism in the Holy Ghost - The Baptism in the Holy Ghost and fire is a gift from God as promised by the Lord Jesus Christ to all believers
in this dispensation and is received subsequent to the New Birth. This experience is accomplished by the initial evidence of speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit
Himself gives utterance.
Matthew 3:11, Acts 1:5, Acts 2:1-4, Acts 8:14-17
- 8. Sanctification - The Bible teaches that without holiness no man can see the Lord. We believe in the doctrine of Sanctification as a definite,
yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of regeneration and continuing until the consummation of salvation at Christ's return.
Hebrews 12:14, I Thessalonians 5,23, II Peter 3:18, II Corinthians 3:18, Philippians 3:12-14, I Corinthians 1:30
- 9. Divine Healing - Healing is for the physical ills of the human body and is wrought by the power of God through the prayer of
faith, and the laying on of hands. It is provided for in the atonement of Christ, and is the privilege of every member of the
Mark 16:18, James 5:14, I Peter 2:24, Matthew 8:17, Isaiah 53:4,5
- 10. Resurrection of Jesus and the Return of our Lord - The angles said to Jesus' disciples, "this same Jesus...shall come in like manner
as ye have seen Him go into Heaven," His coming is imminent. When He comes, "...the dead in Christ shall rise first: The we which are alive and remain shall be
caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air..."
Acts 1:11, I Thessalonians 4:16-17
- 11. Following the Tribulation, He shall return to the earth as King of kings and Lord of lords, and together with His saints, who shall be
kings and priests, He shall reign a thousand years.
- 12. Hell and Eternal Retribution - The one who physically dies in his sins without accepting Christ is hopelessly and eternally
lost in the Lake of Fire and therefore, has no further opportunity of hearing the Gospel or repenting. The Lake of Fire is literal. The
terms "eternal;" and "everlasting", used in describing the duration of the punishment of the damned in the Lake of Fire
, carry the same thought and meaning of endless existence as used in denoting the duration of joy and ecstasy of saints
in the presence of God.
Hebrews 9:27, Revelations 19:20
Pastor Herb Mays,
The River At Portland - 2621 Highway 76 - Portland, TN 37148 - 615.325.6404 -
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com